Been slacking real good for a week now, but I’ve made some progress.
I’ve implemented the support for unique areas (manually made, like the gray squares) and taken some time to find a way to get the “best” position for the area on each island, by shuffling a list with positions and grading them depending on how many of the area’s nodes it can fit with the current nodes. Having to add new nodes to make the area fit = low score.
Right now all the islands have an area and the exact same one, but hey, it’s for testing so it’s fine.
Added a third ground type - stone. Also added two new small details. Nothing fancy today, other than some minor tweaks in the code to make even more ground types a lot easier etc. Invisible stuff.
With this update the “stage 1” of this project is completed.
I’ve fixed some minor stuff this time, such as adding a sprite to the connectors, and making sure no detail is spawned at the same position as a connector.
With “stage 1” I’ve successfully managed to spawn a few islands close to each other, randomized with two different ground tiles, a few bigger details and a few smaller details. These islands are connected to each other, where transportation between the islands is what I’ve had in mind.
Everything so far is pretty generic, and the islands are still very similar to each other. The next stage of the development will hopefully change that. What I want to do next, is adding unique places to some of the islands, such as ‘The Town’, ‘The Church’ and ‘The Cave’ - or something equally classic and cliché. Maybe scatter a few treasure chests around the area as well.
Smaller details added. Someone (a potential player) will not collide with these small details, such as grass, flowers and small rocks.
It gives the island a bit more interesting look, but may result in a cluttered look. So far, I’ve had quite low chances of these details to spawn. Is it still too cluttered?
Alright, I’ve added tree stumps to get a few more random details in place, and also added an island ‘bottom’ for more depth. It doesn’t look as flat - still a bit flat though, but that’s a later problem.
Made a few changes to the code structure as well, but it doesn’t really show on the result. Always fun to spend time on something no one will ever notice..
Ok, so I borrowed some graphics to make a quick test with trees and rocks. Trees (more like bushes) can only spawn on grass, and stone can only spawn on dirt (logic 2.0)
I’m guessing the next stage has begun: Making the islands more living and interesting, starting with some basic stuff obviously. It’s a start =)
Right, so I’m changing the textures a lot during this experiment. Not that it’s important really.
The grass and the dirt tiles now takes ‘empty’ and the other in consideration when autotiling. Looks way better, I think.
Don’t know if I should add a third layer of surface (like sand or something), or continue with making the islands a bit more interesting - adding some depth by adding a visible bottom, or by adding stones and trees.
A small update today. Added some corner tiles to the tile sets, that I had “forgotten”. Also tweaked the shape generation a bit, resulting in bigger and more randomly shaped islands. Looks better, but I still need to sort out a few special cases with the tiling. Too tired now.
Despite the minor artifacts all around the island, I implemented a perlin noise pattern to change some of the grass tiles into dirt. Now I just need to figure out a simple way to make the grass and dirt tile well together without a shit load of work.
Today I implemented a simple tile sheet. The islands are given a specific tile in the tile set, nothing fancy, just standard auto tiling.
Somehow I need to get the tile sheet look better, and I don’t really know how to use my coding skills to make great graphics. Maybe some persuasion will a be better skill to use here =)